Thursday 28 September 2017

A Fresh Perspective


First, let me apologise for my absence. I had a very small mental breakdown. I have always been a little nuts, but recently, I allowed my negative frame of mind to overtake me. The good news is that I am once again sane (I have a letter from my Doctor certifying my sanity, in case I forget) and normal service is resumed.

                There is still, sadly, some degree of stigma attached to mental health issues, hence the somewhat tongue-in-cheek commentary above. The long and short of it is that the mind of us over-imaginative types is a harsh mistress and I finally needed to admit that I needed a little help.

                And now for something completely different.

                Serious question: why did no one tell me how awesome the Clone Wars CGI series was? During my period of convalescence, I discovered this, and I am having so much fun with it. I mean, they actually managed to make Anakin a sympathetic and heroic figure, more so than any of the prequels managed. And, while that deserves its own praise, the rest of the show is equally fantastic, especially the new characters, such as Ahsoka Tano and Asajj Ventress.

                Ahsoka actually inspired me to try the SWTOR Jedi Knight story again. The Knight story is one I have struggled with tremendously. Although I have completed the other class stories at least three times each, I have been unable to get past the Prologue on more than a single Knight character.

                The story just felt to me like the writer(s) made a list of all the bad parts of Star Wars, then phoned it in. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the fact remains that I did not enjoy the Knight story at all.

                I am, however, all about the character. And, this was the first time I have tried a female Knight. I must say that the female Knight voice actor does a much better job, in my opinion, than the male voice actor. Also, this is the first time I have found a reason and inspiration to create a Togruta, which I purchased the unlock for when it became available. I also spent close to a million credits on FashionTOR: The Mini-Game.  Although, it must be said that I purchased one of the new Cartel Packs with my monthly cartel coin grant and sold the armor set I received for 1.9 million credits, so my new Knight is hardly running at a deficit. I wasn’t willing to spend the millions of credits that white lightsaber crystals are currently selling for, though, so my new Sentinel has the Ice Blue crystals I already had unlocked in her lightsabers, and I am quite happy with that.

                I have just finished Tython, and I am having so much more fun than I have previously had with Knight characters! It’s amazing what a fresh perspective will do for you.


My new Togruta Jedi Sentinel, newly minted Knight of the Republic and all around snarky badass

                This has also got me thinking that I may actually try KotFE and KotET again. I have still not managed to get any further than Chapter IX of KotFE. I am very wary of the conspiracy to abduct all my beloved companions and honestly haven’t been that impressed with what I have seen of the story so far, at least insofar as its treatement of characters goes; the limited dialog options, lack of variation by class and faction, etc…  I’ll start slow and maybe take my Sith Warrior through. At least he can get his wife, Vette, back. I’m also thinking my Agent or Inquisitor might be fun.

Many have commented that it feels like an extension of the Knight story, but it will be a while before my new Knight reaches that stage. Opinions?


Darth Simmer, Empire's Wrath

 


Evanesa, Master Conspirator, Heir to the Star Cabal and controller of the Black Codex


Lord Fangral, Forcewalker and Master Assassin (also Darth Nox, if I can ever get around to completing her class story)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you're feeling better! Feeling mentally overwhelmed is never a nice thing.

    It may not be a popular opinion, but you're not alone - I'm not a huge fan of the Jedi knight story either. It has its strong moments, but also features way too many worn out clichés.

    Out of your existing characters, I would recommend the inquisitor for KotFE & KotET. That class doesn't have as personal a connection to the Emperor, but the general tone and themes of the two expansions fit the inquisitor's story to a T and make it more fun to play through than as any other class (from my personal experience).

    ReplyDelete

THE HEART OF LORKHAN – A Speculative Deconstruction of The Monomyth

I am fascinated by the story of Lorkhan. The song, Red Diamond , played by bards in Inns across Tamriel is a song as divisive as opinions...